Health and Safety Risks
Lead was a common additive to paint up until the late 1970s. It was added to quicken the drying process, repel moisture, and increase durability. However, lead has since been found to be a hazardous material, and can cause many illnesses, including nervous system damage, kidney growth, reproductive issues, amongst other health concerns. If a building is found to have lead paint, steps must be taken to ensure proper removal.
Improper removal of lead paint can sometimes worsen the situation if certain precautions are not taken. Done wrong, lead paint removal can cause hazardous lead dust to fill the air, damaging the respiratory system. Therefore, the removal of lead paint is best left to trained professionals.